It's been nearly a year since the Flights of Fantasy Reading Challenge 2016 started, and I can barely believe that I'm even typing up the sign-up post for next year right now. It's been a really great year for reading fantasy (I read way more than my original goal)! I'm really thrilled with how many of you joined us and participated in our book clubs, so thank you for that.
Rachel of Hello, Chelly & I will be hosting the Flights of Fantasy Reading Challenge for the third time in 2017! We sure hope that you will be signing up to join us as we endeavor to read more fantasy novels (and series) in the year to come. Whether you're new to fantasy or a total veteran in the genre, we can promise that our challenge is real simple and that you can totally meet your goal, whatever it may be.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The challenge will run from January 1-December 31, 2017.
- We're welcoming all readers to join us for this challenge! In order to sign up, readers just need to link to one of the following: blog, Goodreads profile, Twitter account, YouTube channel or Instagram account in the Linky below. That way, we'll have a chance to see where you guys will be talking about all of your fantasy reads (and we can come and visit you).
- You can read as little or as much as you'd like to. There are no levels for this challenge!
- There will be two giveaways, one at 6 months and one at the end of the year. More details will be provided closer to those dates.
- Help us spread the word! Feel free to tweet about the challenge using our official hashtag #flightsoffantasy, grab the button to link to the challenge in your blog sidebar, share the image on Pinterest / Instagram or even write your own post about it. We love talking with fellow fantasy fans and want to connect with as many of them as possible!
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- Challenge yourself to read a certain number of fantasy books. Share your challenge number in a comment, a blog post, a tweet or whatever way you can think of! (Feel free to get super creative.)
- Around the last week of each month, we'll be sharing our personal updates on how the challenge is going for us. We'll be including a Linky, just in case you decided to the same. (This is totally optional!)
- As mentioned, there will be giveaways! If you want to gain bonus entries for the giveaways, read any (or even all) of our favorite fantasy books listed below:
- Joint Favorites: Throne of Glass, Harry Potter, Fire and Thorns, Snow Like Ashes, The Queen of the Tearling, Six of Crows, Truthwitch
- Alexa's Favorites: Eon, Daughter of the Forest, The Elemental Trilogy, Song of the Lioness, The Hobbit
- Rachel's Favorites: The Grisha Trilogy, Harper Hall Trilogy, The Fever series, The Winner's Curse trilogy, Graceling
FLIGHTS OF FANTASY BOOK CLUB
We've decided to keep the Flights of Fantasy Book Club (FOF Book Club, for short), but we realized that we needed to simplify. In other words, we'll be reading a book by a new-to-us fantasy author together per quarter, and we will only commit to reading the first in the series (initially). We'll announce the book at the beginning of each quarter and post our discussions at the end of it.
- Read January / Discuss March: Anne Bishop
- Read April / Discuss June: Patricia A. McPhillip
- Read July / Discuss September: Mercedes Lackey
- Read October / Discuss December: Elise Kova
I'm going to be even more ambitious than I was last year, and aim to read 50 fantasy reads next year. I am fairly confident in my ability to reach this goal since I surpassed that point this year (!), and because I have a ton of fantasy series I need to finish up. I can't wait to read more fantasy and discuss fantasy reads with all of you!
And that's it! That's all you really need to know about the Flights of Fantasy Reading Challenge 2017. Nice and simple, right? We certainly hope you'll sign up, and that you'll encourage other people to do so as well. If you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments section or tweet either of us directly. Feel free to use the banner in your post, or the button below! We hope to see your name in the Linky below.